The Department Store is a new development by architects Squire and Partners, located in Brixton, London. The architects have revived a local Brixton landmark to create their own studio, a series of collaborative workspaces supported by an evolving hub of creative, retail and community uses. Originally built in 1906 as an annexe to the Bon Marche department store, the design of the reimagined space has been informed by the building’s existing fabric and layers of history.
Collaborating with craftspeople, furniture makers and manufacturers including Dornbracht, the restored and extended building provides an exciting array of work and event spaces for the various design disciplines within the architecture practice, as well as a series of creative and retail units. Externally, the design reverses years of neglect – revealing original brickwork, stone, marble and terracotta. Original interior elements such as mahogany and teak parquet flooring, a grand tiled staircase and a patina of colours documenting the building’s history have been preserved.
As part of the development, Squire and Partners commissioned world leading manufacturer Dornbracht to fit its premium fittings in specific areas of the project.
Dornbracht’s Tara Ultra Single Level Kitchen Mixer has been used in the building’s guest rooftop restaurant and bar in chrome and in the office kitchens located throughout the space in the matt black colourway. The Tara fitting is a contemporary classic, subtlety refined over time, evolving the design in architecture, new finishes and colours.
The staff shower area features Dornbracht’s Rain Shower, a classic since it was first developed 20 years ago. The project sees this fitting used in a fashionable matt black, set within contrasting white tiles. Meta basin mixers have been used in the washrooms, allowing for a high level of combinability and durability.
For press enquiries please contact Caro Communications: